Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Mealtime Challenges

The past two days have presented themselves with some challenging behaviors during mealtime, as well as some challenges for myself as a mother.

Monday morning, we decided to try having Greyson's speech meal with me out of the room to help minimize the poor behaviors that were developing.  He had become accustomed to me always being right there, which meant that as soon as he was uncomfortable, he was reaching for me as a way to avoid the situation.  Wile I was ignoring him, it was still interfering with his sessions and progress, so this was the next step.  Unfortunately, this had the opposite affect than was desired.  Greyson immediately started crying, reaching and pulling towards the door, refused to even sit in the high chair, and didn't stop for the entire 20 minutes that Ms. Patty tried to distract him.  She stayed very warm and calm throughout this, and continued trying to play with him while holding him and distracting with toys.  None of it worked, and after 20 minutes, she allowed the door to come open and for us to hug.  I was able to watch everything transpire through a double mirror, and listen with headphones (although he was crying so hard I didn't need them).  As mothers, our first instinct is to protect our children when they are feeling threatened or scared, and to comfort them when they are upset.  That's what moms do.  I'm not even able to describe what it is like to sit on the opposite side of a door and have to watch your child be in so much distress, and not be able to do anything about it.  There was a purpose to this madness, and I understand that, but it did not make it one bit easier.  I cried for him while he cried for me.
We were able to take a very large break to recoup.  We took our time cuddling and walking to the playground, where we swung together for an hour.  This was very relaxing for the both of us, and we got some time to think and breath.
Recovering from a rough morning


I thought at this point that we had just set ourselves back to where we started, because he refused to even sit in the high chair.  However, I was able to take him to a therapy room by myself to try a mealtime, and that went very well.  He took four ounces of diluted apple uncle off of a spoon for me, using some toys as motivators/distractions and some planned ignoring of his poor behaviors.  He did extremely well considering how his morning had gone.

For his speech appointment in the afternoon, I was extremely nervous.  I knew that they wouldn't try taking me out of the room again, knowing how distressed he got, but I also knew Greyson would probably associate Ms. Patty with all of the negativity that had happened.  To my very pleasant surprise, he wasn't unhappy to see Ms. Patty.  He did exhibit his typical poor mealtime behaviors (kicking off shoes, swatting the spoon away, throwing the plate off of the tray, kicking his legs, and avoiding bites).

Today went rather well!  I'm very hopeful that we are on the right track.  Greyson tried some yogurt diluted with milk today, and he seemed to enjoy it!  Let me repeat that so you understand how important that is:  He enjoyed it!

The poor behaviors are still happening, but *knock on wood* they seem to be decreasing in severity.  The behaviors are mostly attention-seeking, and I think he's catching the drift that he's not getting the attention from them that he wants.  It's so nice to see some actual progress, no matter how small, because I know this process can take years.

We also discussed some plans for coming home.  The Children's Institute is going to act as a "hub" for Greyson's therapy needs, and maintain contact with his therapists at home.  They are going to make recommendations for what they believe he needs to be doing, and are looking into a more appropriate program that can be all-inclusive close to us (meaning one that he can see a Speech Therapist, Occupational Therapist, and Physical Therapist at the same place, and those therapists work closely together to manage his care).  Right now he sees two fabulous therapists, but they are unable to work closely together.  We also will be making frequent trips to Pittsburgh for outpatient visits so that they can continue to make recommendations.

Greyson's favorite times of the day are his occupational sessions.  He gets to do some physical play to help with his body awareness issues, and has developed a love for swinging.  In the afternoon, he gets to ride a tricycle around the hallways, and he just loves this.  He also works on his sensory issues during these sessions, usually by playing with some food item in some way.  Today he drove cars through yogurt, and even handled some of the yogurt on his hands!  
Swinging is my new favorite thing!

Our homework tonight was to try out some more dilute yogurt.  In the first video below, you can see how we start a session, usually with some sort of exercise to get his mouth "ready" for eating.  You can also see some of his sensory issues when he takes his first few bites (he shudders).



In the second video, you can see some of the behavioral issues he is using to try to get out of eating (and subsequently me ignoring it and moving on).  He was also having some sensory difficulties because his shirt was saturated with water and yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you :)