Monday, March 4, 2013

Stories of Kindness and Barefoot Books

I'm going to tell you a story of kindness today.  It's a true story, one that was "written" by an inspiring woman named Meg.  Meg began a project called 34 to the Front Door late last Fall.  The premise of this project is for her to complete 34 random acts of kindness by the time she turns 34 in October.  I was honored that Meg decided to host a Barefoot Books party in order to use the free books she earned to surprise a nominated teacher, and she set out with a high goal in mind (and a few surprises too!).

Meg and I made her guests aware that the books she earned from her party would be donated to a deserving teacher.  In turn, I hosted the biggest home party I've done yet, with around 15 generous ladies and their excited children.  Meg had already collected several outside orders before her party, and even more afterwards.  Meg's project has inspired many to help out with her acts of kindness (and start performing their own), and these women had surely been inspired to help a deserving teacher.

Here I am telling a bit about Barefoot Books.  To my left, a little girl enjoys a singalong while I chat.

Here's the stack of numerous orders I had from Meg's home party!  WOW! 

As Meg's home party was winding down, she began to make a little announcement.  She thanked everyone for their generosity, and also had a surprise for me.

Meg announced that I was her 13th act of kindness for her project. 
Wow!  To say I was surprised is an understatement.  Someone had nominated us because our son, G, was recently put on continuous g-tube feeds, and needed an expensive backpack.  An anonymous person donated $75 to us to use for supplies for G.  How amazing is that?  We are so blessed.

Something Meg said after her guests left really resonated with me.  She said to me, "You need to take a minute to realize that all of these women were here for you.  They weren't here just to buy books, they were here to support you."  Talk about being humbled.  Talk about women coming together to support and love one another.  Talk about women achieving a goal together.  Talk about kindness.  I am still amazed by the entire thing.

Meg's original (and secret) goal was to earn me enough commission to be able to buy G his special backpack.  She also wanted to sell $750 in books.  Meg far surpassed her goal and collected $1,089 in Barefoot Books orders.  Meg earned $218 in free books to gift to a nominated teacher. 

Here are the free books we chose for the nominated teacher's kindergarten classroom.  
Meg put all of the books in a cute apple themed tote from 31.
When completing her kindnesses, Meg writes a personal letter to each person.  Be sure to read this letter, as it contains the original nomination sent in to her about Mrs. Fearon.  She sounds like a teacher that I would not only want to work with, but also the kind of teacher that I would be excited for my son to have.


Mrs. Fearon receiving her books from Meg's son.

You can tell how much she loves children.  She immediately sat down with Meg's son to look through the books.
Simply amazing!

Now, can you imagine what a classroom of kindergartners looks like after they've received over $200 worth of amazing books?  Mrs. Fearon said they kids went crazy!  

Mrs. Fearon's class shows their "surprised" faces!
These students are lucky to have such a wonderful teacher!
Congratulations to Mrs. Fearon and her class!  I wish them hours and hours of happy reading with Barefoot Books.

Thank you, Meg for inspiring so many in our community to be kind to others!  Thank you as well for surprising me with my own kindness, and also allowing me to be apart of Mrs. Fearon's kindness.  Please be sure to check out Meg's Facebook page 34 to the Front Door and keep up to date with her current kindnesses.  She also offers tips and ways that you can easily show kindness in the world.

How can you show kindness today?  

2 comments:

  1. Linds, this post brought tears to my eyes! It's amazing how generous people actually are. Kindness really does go a long way :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! I just love following her on Facebook because she is not only bringing smiles to those she is showing kindness to, but giving so many others the inspiration to show little kindnesses every single day!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you :)